1 Year Fixed Term Contract
Who we are and what we do
Quercus is a division of Hachette UK. We are an exciting and vibrant publishing house, and the Non-Fiction editorial team is a key part of the company’s growth. With authors such as Sarah Knight, Damien Lewis, Geraint Thomas, Ben Brooks and Bill Bailey on its list, Quercus Non-Fiction has established itself as an innovative publisher in this category, especially brilliant at publishing quality books and building up new voices.
What you’ll be doing
Quercus is looking for an Assistant Editor / Editor to help and support two publishers in the Non-Fiction department. The position is a year-long contract from March 2020 to April 2021. This position offers the opportunity to work on some lead non-fiction titles and to engage in many aspects of the publishing process.
Reporting to the Non-Fiction Publisher and providing two commissioners with administrative support.
Project-managing forthcoming books from manuscript to print/ebook:
- Liaising with the managing editor on copyedits and proofreads and checking the work
- liaising with authors to resolve queries
- preparing prelims and putting books into production
- collating proofs and checking eBooks
- acting as the main point of contact between the editorial, art and production teams for allocated projects
- researching and clearing agency images for plate sections/illustrated titles where appropriate
Providing editorial support, including but not limited to:
- assisting with writing cover copy
- ensuring metadata is kept up to date
- ensuring sales teams have the material they need
- reading submissions
- carrying out administrative tasks in relation to allocated projects.
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for someone with experience as an editorial assistant or assistant editor. Candidates must be highly efficient, with a close eye for detail, as well as an excellent communicator. A can-do, enthusiastic attitude is essential, along with a proven ability to work well under pressure and multi-task. Additionally, the successful candidate will be:
- Able to multitask and organise effectively
- Confident, with excellent grammar, spelling and verbal communication skills
- A competent administrator with knowledge of Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Biblio, Excel and Powerpoint would be an advantage
- A keen reader
What we offer
This role offers the opportunity to gain experience working in the exciting non-fiction imprint of a major publishing house. While you will be working mainly with two publishers, the list is very varied, and we are a close-knit, small, friendly and supportive team. There will be on-the-job training in any systems and processes you are not familiar with.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
Salary: £25,000- £28,000 depending on experience
Closing date: 28th February 2020
To apply click here